Don't Google Me


My culture isn’t defined by what you can and cannot find on a google search.
I stand in front of you, indigenous blood coursing through my veins,
Yet somehow I’m not enough?
I don’t fit your stereotypes imposed by colonizer inaccuracies.
The lack of knowledge you have of my people aren’t validated
By your sociology books and anthropology magazines.
Literary garbage that speak of savage lands, worlds away,
Ignoring the native peoples here within these bordered lands.
Lands we shared and migrated to and fro centuries ago.
Before a time conquistadores pillaged our people.
Stole our spiritually. Raped our ideologies.
Robbed our homes. Stripped our languages.
Plagued our humanity. Trying to breaking us down,
Erasing us like a bad idea from a first draft.

My culture isn’t defined by what you can and cannot find on a google search.
The words vibrating from my soul, rolling off my tongue
More active than your past tense references.
History books with white washed recollections and savaged retellings,
Reducing centuries of trauma to one paragraph in a thousand page text.
New generations assume that we’re people of the past.
Obliterated from the present with non-existent futures.
These are not our truths keeping the dreams of our ancestors alive.      
Indigenous practices free from your misunderstandings of how our communities
Flow with uniqueness and overlapping commonality
In love and tranquility. Life through self and family.

My culture isn’t defined by what you can and cannot find on a google search.
A living breathing Indigenous person, standing right in front of you.
Any time they hear a concept they don’t recognize,
They ask “HoW Do YoU SpeLL ThAt?!”
My knowledge through personal experiences and cultural upbringing invalid?
Typing into search boxes, my existence reduced to a botched summary in a
One page wiki-doc redacted by the very people who defied our ways of life.
Mere savages and animalistic practices?
My culture isn’t defined by what you can and cannot find on a google search,
But by our terms. Our standards. Our stories. Here. Surviving.
Thriving for generations to come.

✊🏽Sueitko Zamorano-Chavez

Comments