Closeted Convos

Alarm blasting, rolling out of bed

Throwing open creaky closet doors.

Ten minutes past late, grabbing that go to outfit.

Rushing them off the hangers, making the clothes dance about.

The button down with a polka dot pattern,

Camouflaging the twins to a flat B.

The burgundy jeans with the functional pocket,

Hugging me in all the right places.

Jump into those two -tone sneakers, and I’m out.

Whispers murmur up and down the aisle.

They rustle about, knocking their hangers, sparking the chisme.

The pretty pink dress with the stripes down the side, pouts in jealousy.

Hasn’t been picked since the day I last saw you.

Las botas con los remolinos cantan las nortenas de los bailes.

Black sleek pumps join in with karaoke versions of Selena and Missy E.

The ripped up skinnies with the hole in the pocket, exhales in relief.

Continuously exhausted from having been worn out this year.

La blusa bordada con las flores, llora decepcionada.

Over looked for being too snug in all the wrong places.

The laced top with and the blue shorts I wore last week

Spilled the tea on my latest date, and how that was a disaster.

The black crew neck tee and baggie khakis chime in

About the best date we ever had, and how we lost them to disasters of hate and poverty.

The little black dress and that three piece suit

Argue whether being torn off in a heat of passion,

Or peeled off in layers of love is more romantic.

They fall silent as I rush back in, rummaging around for my wallet.

Running out I swear I hear that favorite purse chuckle “every time”.

 

-Sueitko Zamorano-Chavez

Comments